Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Old Warden > 36 and 37 The Village Old Warden

36 and 37 The Village Old Warden

36 High Street March 2008
36 The Village March 2008

Old Warden is something of a show village due to the preponderance of attractive cottages; some are tiled, some are thatched, but most are quaint looking and painted in the same livery of cream and white. Most are rendered and some have mock timber framing on the outside (sometimes concealing real timber framing beneath the render!). All look old but many are 19th century. They all belonged to the Shuttleworth Estate as it was known after Joseph Shuttleworth bought the estate in 1872. It had previously been the Ongley estate after Samuel Ongley bought it from Earl Bolingbroke, a member of the Saint John family of Bletsoe, in 1698.

36 and 37 High Street were listed by the former Department of Environment as Grade II, of special interest. They now seem a typical pair of Shuttleworth Estate cottages with plaques showing the date 1881; however, they must be earlier than this because in 1872 Old Warden Park was sold by Robert, 3rd Baron Ongley by private contract to Joseph Shuttleworth. The sale catalogue of the time [X65/61] noted that 36 and 37 High Street were in the respective occupations of Widow Sear and John Scott at 2 guineas per annum each. They are constructed of colour-washed rough-cast "probably over brick structure" with applied decorative timber framing, clay tile roofs with bands of fish scale tiles. They are described as "cottage ornée style".

 37 High Street March 2008
37 The Village March 2008

In 1927 the dwellings of Old Warden were valued under the Rating Valuation Act 1925; every piece of land and building in the country was assessed to determine the rates to be paid on it. The valuer visiting 36 and 37 [DV1/C34/53-54] noted that both were owned by the Shuttleworth Estate. 36 The Village was occupied by A.Hayward and stood in 0.135 of an acre. It comprised a living room and kitchen downstairs with two bedrooms above; a barn and earth closet were outside. The valuer commented: "Fetch water from Tap, V.low. Nice place. Been painted". Rent was £6 per annum.

37 The Village was in occupation of J.Vintner and stood in 0.162 of an acre. It comprised a kitchen and living room with two bedrooms above; outside was a barn. The valuer repeated most of his comments about the neighbouring property: "Fetch water from Tap. Bad slope up. V.low. Been painted". Rent was, again, £6 per annum.