Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Old Warden > 32 The Village Old Warden

32 The Village Old Warden

32 The Village March 2008
32 The Village March 2008

32 The Village is a pretty thatched cottage like a number of others in Old Warden. Its present appearance dates from the early 19th century and so is the work of the Ongley family. The cottage was listed by the former Department of Environment in October 1970 as Grade II, of special interest. The listing observes: "probably a reworking of an earlier building".

The property has a timber-framed construction with colourwashed roughcast render to the exterior. It comprises one storey and attics.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the property [DV1/C34/59-60] noted that it was then two cottages - 32 and 33 The Village.

Number 32 was occupied by Mrs. Stacey and Number 33 was in the occupation of J. Clayton. Both paid rent to the Shuttleworth Estate of £3/14/- per annum, which had been fixed on 21st May 1921.

Number 32 comprised a living room and two bedrooms. A barn and an earth closet stood outside and water came from a tap down road. The valuer commented: "Ivy. Very pretty old place. Looks like one but is 2". He also commented: "Very small". Number 33 had a living room and just one bedroom as well as the barn and earth closet outside. The valuer observed: "bedroom evidently not divided here as 32" and "Old place".