Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Old Warden > 16 The Village Old Warden

16 The Village Old Warden

16 The Village March 2008
16 The Village March 2008

16 The Village is an attractive thatched cottage dating from the 18th century. It was listed by the former Department of Environment in October 1970 as Grade II, of special interest. The department noted that the cottage was reworked in the 19th century and is constructed, like many of the cottage in Old Warden, of colourwashed roughcast over a timber frame.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting 16 The Village [DV1/C34/70] found it occupied by J. Scott who had paid annual rent of £6 to the Shuttleworth Estate from 1921.

The cottage comprised a kitchen and a parlour downstairs with four bedrooms. Two barns and an earth closet stood outside. The valuer commented: "Fetch water from Road" and "Nice was 2". The cottages were originally numbered 16 and 17 The Village and each would just have had one room downstairs.  The valuer also commented: "Stands back from Road. Path at side to get down to garden at back which goes with the Hare and Hounds". He finally noted: "Roses in Front".