Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Harrold > The Muntjac Public House Harrold

The Muntjac Public House Harrold

The Globe and the High Street about 1900
The Globe and the High Street about 1900 [Z1130/54/22]

Muntjac Public House and Restaurant: 71 High Street, Harrold [Globe Public House until 2003]

The 1876 return of Licensed Premises records the Globe, as it then was, tenanted by Thomas Willey and owned by William Hipwell of Olney. It also records that it was first licensed in 1845, although no supporting evidence for this is given. In a countywide licensing register of 1891 the owners are recorded as Hipwell & Company of Olney.

In 1927 property in Harrold was valued under the Rating & Valuation Act of 1925; every piece of land and building in the country had to be valued to determine the rates to be paid upon it. The valuer visiting the Globe [DV1/C/71/140] noted that the owner was then Phipps & Company of Northampton and the occupier Mrs A Willey. He remarked: "Met Mr Ruffhead of Phipps & Co here". The current rent was £19 per annum. He described the premises as constructed of brick and slate, an "old house", with a "long frontage".

The premises comprised: a small bar ("useless beer engine"), a tap room ("good"), a living room ("fair") and a cellar. Upstairs were: a club room ("large but useless") and three bedrooms. Outside were a barn ("large"), a coach house, two stalls for stores, a hen house and a small garden.

The valuer considered the rent to be high. Trade was a barrel of beer per week and 45 gallons of spirits per year.

Because of the out-county ownership of the Globe down the years, Bedfordshire & Luton Archives & Records Service does not have very many records for it. In 2003 the name was changed to the Muntjac. At the time of writing [2008] the Muntjac is a free house.


  • GA2117: auction sale held at: 1860;
  • PSS3/1: Register of Alehouse Licences - Sharnbrook Petty Sessional Division: c.1901;
  • PSS3/2: Register of Alehouse Licences - Sharnbrook Petty Sessional Division: c.1903;
  • PSS3/3: Register of Alehouse Licences - Sharnbrook Petty Sessional Division: 1904-1930;
  • DV1/C/71: rating valuation: 1927;
  • RDBP1/1458: plans for alterations: 1930;
  • BorB/TP/88/763: conversion of barn to form four chalets: 1988

List of Licensees: note that this is not a complete list; entries in italics refer to licensees where either beginning or end, or both, dates are not known:

1862-1864: George Allen;
1869-1877: Thomas Willey;
1885: Charles Willey;
1890-1908: Thomas Willey;
1908-1930: Annie Willey [died 1930];
1930: Caroline Willey;
1930-1932: Leonard John Taylor;
1932-1935: Beatrice Taylor;
1935-1940: Samuel Kitchiner
1966-1976: Herbert Francis Hankins;
1976-1981: Terence George Eales;
1981-1982: John Michael Mitchell;
1982-1984: John Michael Mitchell and John Anthony Capps;
1984-1985: Wendy Latham
1985-1987: Andrew William Chandler, Suzanne Chandler and Frank Darrieulat;
1987-1995: William Adrian Bohle