Harrold Infants School in 1904
Harrold Council School January 2008
Bedfordshire County Council became Local Education Authority for the county in 1903, following the Education Act 1902. In 1904 the County Surveyor reported on the condition of all the council and voluntary schools in the county under LEA control, excluding those on Bedford and Luton Boroughs which had their own executive arrangements. The surveyor's report [E/SA2/1/1]] took the form below.
This is a stone-built and tiled good structure, lofty, airy, well lighted, and fairly ventilated by window openings.
Size of Room: 27 feet by 17 feet.
Warming is by open fire.
The floor needs reboarding. It is proposed to remove the Infants' Gallery, which is very much worn.
All painting, varnishing, whitening and colouring needs cleansing and renewing.
All woodwork of dado not previously painted should be painted four coats.
Lobby 14 feet by 4 feet.
This needs thoroughly cleansing and renewing.
Two Lavatory [in the sense of somewhere to wash] basins are provided here.
A cement concrtet floor over rough local limestone should be provided.
Lobby 6 feet by 5 feet.
This needs cleansing and renewing, and the roof repairing and making sound.
Two Privies - These are very cramped and are near to Lobby window.
They should be made into Earth Closets and a Urinal receptacle provided.
External Repairs to masonry, roofs, fence walls painting, and renewal throughout are necessary.