Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Harrold > 118 High Street Harrold

118 High Street Harrold

118 High Street in 1962
118 High Street in 1962 [Z53/54/34]

118 High Street, was listed by the former Department of Environment as Grade II (of special interest). A first floor plaque ascribes its building to John Farey in 1721. It is, like most of the older buildings in Harrold, of coursed limestone rubble; it has a slate roof and comprises two storeys.

118 High Street May 2008
118 High Street in May 2008

In 1927 property in Harrold was valued under the Rating Valuation Act of 1925; every piece of land and building in the country had to be valued to determine the rates to be paid upon it. The valuer visiting 118 High Street [DV1/C70/59] noted that William Thompson was both owner and occupier, he was a watch and clock repairer and the premises comprised a shop ["clocks"], a living room and a pantry downstairs; there were two bedrooms upstairs. Outside stood a "good" store barn, and a "small" garden; water came from a well. The valuer remarked: "Very poor" and "shop very dark".