Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Tempsford > The Old Bakery - 63 Station Road Tempsford

The Old Bakery - 63 Station Road Tempsford

The Old Bakery - 63 Station Road February 2016
The Old Bakery, 63 Station Road February 2016

63 Station Road was listed by English Heritage in November 1986 as Grade II, of special interest. It is thought to date from the 17th century and is a timber-framed structure with colour-washed roughcast render over it and a 20th century tiled roof. It comprises two storeys and attics. The listing entrance speculates that the original entrance was at the centre of the front elevation, though it is now on the left-hand side elevation.

In 1829 the Tempsford Estate was surveyed [X1/41 and WY1036/12] at which time the property was not owned by the estate but by Charles Woods; the occupier was Elizabeth Medlock. The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the property [DV1/C157/35] found it was called The Firs.

The house was owned and occupied by R Flett and comprised two parlours, a kitchen, a scullery, three bedrooms and a WC. A timer and tiled cart shed, store and henhouse stood outside. The valuer commented: “Water laid on, indoor sanitation, just off road, very nice little place, but old”. In 1909 the property was for sale by auction and was described as a “bijou residence” formerly known as Rose Villa [Z938/11/1/18]. It is interesting that neither source mentions a bakery.