Cottage Farm Tempsford
Cottage Farm February 2016
Cottage Farmhouse was listed by English Heritage in November 1986 as Grade II, of special interest. It dates from the 18th century, with 19th century alterations and is built of yellow brick which has been partly colourwashed, with a clay-tiled roof. The property comprises two storeys. The irregular spacing of the windows suggests that the two left-hand bays are a later addition. The porch is 19th century. The roof was altered in 1991.
The property formed part of the Tempsford Estate and a survey in 1829 [X1/41 and WY1036/12] noted that there was no tenant, the farm being run directly by the estate. The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the farm [DV1/C162/35] found it still owned by Lady of the Manor Mrs Stuart and occupied by J Sidney Biss. It was no longer a farm and was simply known as “The Cottage”.
The property contained a hall (“poor”), a drawing room measuring 15 feet 6 inches by 13 feet 6 inches, a kitchen, two store cupboards, a morning room and a dining room. Upstairs were four bedrooms, a boxroom and a bathroom with a WC. It thus comes as no surprise that water was laid on. Outside stood a small heated greenhouse, a coal house and a washhouse. There was a “very good” orchard with four “good” walnut trees. The valuer summed up: “Quite nice little place. Small rooms. Good drive in. Breed dogs in outbuildings.”