40 Church Street Tempsford
40 Church Street February 2016
40 Church Street is an attractive cottage standing some way back from Church Street. It looks as if it dates from the late 18th or the 19th century. It is brick-built, has a tiled roof and comprises two storeys. It was unusual in not being part of the Tempsford Estate.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the cottage [DV1/C157/107] found that it was called Rectory Cottage, the landlord was Rev G Dickinson, the occupier being Rev A F Flood. Despite their religious calling neither man was ever Rector of Tempsford.
The house had two parlours and a living room downstairs with three bedrooms above. Outside stood a potting shed and a barn. The garden was noted as “good”. Water was laid on. The valuer elaborated that Rev Dickinson was actually a tenant, Rev Flood being his sub-tenant for six months. The owner was Bedford brewer Charles Wells Limited, owners of the nearby Wheatsheaf. He commented “Stands back from road. Nice little place”.