Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Thurleigh > Wayside Cottage - 8 Church End Thurleigh

Wayside Cottage - 8 Church End Thurleigh

8 Church End 1983 [Z50/122/40]
8 Church End 1983 [Z50/122/40]

Wayside Cottage used to be listed as Grade III but this listing category has now been deleted, meaning that it is not a listed building. The original listing stated that the property dates from the 18th or 19th centuries with later alterations. A glance at the inclosure map for Thurleigh [MA47/3] does not show any properties in this part of Church End, strongly suggesting that the cottage was built after 1805.

The long, low cottage has whitewashed plaster externally and comprises one storey with attics beneath a thatched roof. It has a one storey brick extension on the right-hand side and another small brick extension to the left.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 stated that every piece of land and building in the country was to be appraised to determine its rateable value. Thurleigh, like most of the county, was appraised in 1927 and the valuer visiting this cottage noted that it was owned and occupied by Frank Whitmore. It comprised a parlour, a living room, a kitchen, a shop measuring 10 feet by 12 feet and two bedrooms. A large barn stood outside. Kelly's Directory for 1928 lists Whitmore simply as shopkeeper. The directory was not published every year but every few years and 1928 is the last time he is mentioned. He is first listed in 1910 and is otherwise listed in 1914, 1920 and 1924.

In 1931 a new shopkeeper is listed, Lydia Parrott, who is listed in the directories of 1936 and the last one for the county, 1940. It is possible that she succeeded Frank Whitmore as owner of 8 Church End but this is a long way from certain, she may simply have spotted an opportunity and opened a shop elsewhere in the village.

8 Church End January 2015
8 Church End January 2015