Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Thurleigh > Registration and Early References in Thurleigh

Registration and Early References in Thurleigh

In 1672 Charles II issued a Declaration of Toleration for Protestants dissenting from the Church of England; this had the effect of some dissenting meeting houses registering with the Secretary of State. The Toleration Act of 1689 enshrined the right of protestants to dissent from the Church of England and, once again, encouraged meeting houses to register voluntarily with local quarter sessions and Anglican church. Registration provided protection against persecution, laying a duty of protection upon magistrates and so was popular with nonconformists. Most registrations were made with quarter sessions until the middle of the 18th century, presumably due to the mutual antagonism of nonconformists and established Church. However, from that point registration with the Church, via the local archdeaconry began to become the favoured method, because the archdeaconry Registrar would issue a licence at any time rather than during the days each quarter when the quarter sessions met.

Visitations by the Bishop of Lincoln to Bedfordshire in the early 18th century give some idea as to the number of nonconformists in each parish from returns made by the vicar or rector. Former County Archivist Patricia Bell has compiled returns from 1706 to 1720 for the Bedfordshire Historical Records Society (Volume 81, published 2002); information for Thurleigh includes the following:

  • 1706: the parish contained about 80 families “of these about 6 or 7 dissenters. Some of them follow Mr. Chaundler of Bedford. There is no Papist or reputed Papist in this parish”. Ebenezer Chandler helped register a barn in Bedford, Saint Cuthbert in 1707 [ABC24.f.115d]
  • 1709: “Families 66. Of these 6 families of dissenters, who follow Mr. Chandler of Bedford”.
  • 1712: Families 80. Of these 7 or 8 of Dissenters, most of them Mr. Chaundler’s hearers. No meeting yet Mr. Chaundler sometimes gives them a private Sermon”.
  • 1717: “In the Parish of Thurleigh about Seventy Families, eight whereof are Dissenters, Presbyterians and Independent. No Licensed Meeting house”.

Bedfordshire & Luton Archives & Records Service has a reasonable number of registrations of nonconformist meeting houses in both the Quarter Sessions and Archdeaconry of Bedford archives. Registration continued through the 19th century even though persecution faded away - this was because registered buildings were allowed to claim exemption from parish poor rates, were exempt from control by the Charity Commission and were allowed to be licensed to carry out marriages. These things meant that registration became almost compulsory in practice for well established nonconformist meetings. This is fortunate for the local historian because sometimes the only surviving references to a nonconformist meeting occur as registrations. One drawback with the registrations are that they do not usually inform the reader of the particular type of denomination involved, though sometimes it is possible to infer it from other evidence.

Edwin Welch researched the history of registrations in Bedfordshire for Bedfordshire Historical Records Society Volume 75 Bedfordshire Chapels and Meeting Houses [published in 1996] and found the following for Thurleigh:

  • 13th July 1763: the house of Samuel Tyso was registered by Tyso himself, Richard Ward, John Pettit and Edmund Ward [QSP43/5]
  • 18th July 1818: the house of Mark Smith was registered by Smith himself “and others” [ABN1/2, ABN3/3]
  • 15th November 1821: the house of William Swale was registered by Anthony Byrd Seckerson [ABN1/2, ABN3/3]
  • 15th May 1838: the dwelling house of John Allen was registered by Allen himself [ABN1/2, ABN2/326]. There was already a Baptist chapel in the village so this may have been some variety of Methodist meeting.