Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Thurleigh > 52 and 54 Mill Road Thurleigh

52 and 54 Mill Road Thurleigh

52 and 54 Mill Road were listed by English Heritage in August 1983 as Grade II, of special interest. The pair of cottages are not shown on the inclosure map for the parish of 1805 [MA47/3] and so must post-date it. They are timber-framed and rendered in colour washed roughcast. The original design was for two roomed cottages on the ground floor with the rooms separated by a back-to-back hearth which gave warmth to both. They comprised one storey and attics beneath a thatched roof. There is now a one room extension to the south, with a thatched roof and a two room extension to the north, made of brick and slate.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 legislated that every piece of land and property in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Thurleigh, like much of the county, was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting this pair of cottages found them owned by T. Wagstaff [DV1/C73/2-3]. He also owned nearby Scald End Farm. The northern cottage was occupied by W. Gammons who paid £5 per annum for a parlour, living room and two bedrooms whilst that to the south was in the occupation of Josiah Wrench who paid £4 per annum for similar accommodation.