29 Bower Lane Eaton Bray
29 Bower Lane July 2012
Victoria Terrace dominates Bower Lane – seventeen homes built, as the name suggests, in the 19th century, along the north side of the road. The third dwelling coming from Eaton Bray, now 29 Bower Lane, used to be 15 Victoria Terrace. It also used to be a shop.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Eaton Bray, like most of the county, was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting 15 Victoria Terrace [DV1/C203/6] found that it was owned by R. Barton and occupied by James Knight, who paid rent of 4/- per week (an increase from the 3/- paid before the Great War).
The “general shop” measured 12 feet 6 inches by 12 feet. The property also contained a living room and two bedrooms. A brick and slate barn and a WC stood outside. The valuer commented: “Poor shop”.