Wilshamstead Infants School in 1904
The infants school about 1910 [Z50/134/22]
Bedfordshire County Council became Local Education Authority for the county in 1903, following the Education Act 1902. In 1904 the County Surveyor reported on the condition of all the council and voluntary schools in the county under LEA control, excluding those on Bedford and Luton Boroughs which had their own executive arrangements. The surveyor's report [E/SA2/1/1]] took the form below.
WILSHAMPSTEAD INFANTS’ SCHOOL (NATIONAL)
This is a brick built and tiled building.
The rooms measure as follows: -
36 feet by 16 feet by 9 feet 6 inches to 18 feet 6 inches.
20 feet by 16 feet by 9 feet 6 inches to 18 feet 6 inches
These have open roofs, lofty for their size.
The lighting is not abundant; the windows are small.
Ventilation is not good. Six Tobin Tubes, and one Exhaust Ventilator are necessary.
Warming is by an open Register Grate, and a Tortoise Stove.
The rooms were fairly bright and clean. The roofs are partly stained, with whitened spaces between timbers.
This is a lean-to on the North side, lighted by a skylight.
It has also a small fireplace. More ventilation is necessary.
This is next Cloak Room.
This is an elaborate framed heavy timber work to carry bell.
The Barn in Yard was formerly a privy, but is now used as a Store.
A wooden common privy about a chain [22 yards] down a garden path is provided for the School
A Glazed Wall Urinal fixed to the South-East corner of the School wall, and discharging into a ditch next thereto is a very poor and questionable provision as no screen is provided. This should be removed to Privy site.
No water is provided on the premises, this is obtained from the Cottage Well adjoining.
These need repairs and painting.
External Repairs and Painting are necessary.
The Mistress occupies a part of the Cottage near to.