Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Wilstead > Dove Cottage Wilshamstead

Dove Cottage Wilshamstead

Dove Cottage June 2012
Dove Cottage June 2012

Dove Cottage is an older property than might appear to a casual glance. It was listed by English Heritage in May 1984 as Grade II, of special interest. It dates from the 17th century and is a timber-framed structure with colourwashed roughcast render over it and comprises one storey and attics beneath a shingled roof. The porch is 20th century and there is a later single-storeyed lean-to addition at the rear.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Like most of the county, Wilshamstead was largely assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting Dove Cottage [DV1/C66/10] found that it was owned by F. Bennett, possibly Frederick Bennett of the Red Lion Public House, and occupied by A. D. Riseley who refused to disclose what rent he paid.

Accommodation comprised two living rooms and “two passage ways at back” with two bedrooms in the attics (“big”). The valuer commented: “Very bad slope at back. Bedrooms in roof”.

In 1988 planning permission for a two storey rear extension was applied for. The plans [BorBTP/88/2472/LB] are held by Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service.