The Manor House Wilshamstead
The Manor House March 2012
The Manor House, formerly The Old Manor House, was listed by the former Department of Environment in June 1974 as Grade II, of special interest. It is not particularly old, dating from the mid 19th century with late 19th and 20th century additions. It is built of mottled pink brick with red brick for the additions and comprises two storeys in an L-shape beneath a clay tiled roof. The house has no obvious connection with the Manor of Wilshamstead which was part of the Haynes Estate from the 18th century. The estate was sold by auction in 1914 and this particular property was not included.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Like most of the county, Wilshamstead was largely assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting the Manor House, then called Rosemont [DV1/C65/31], found that it was owned and occupied by George Hawkins Tompkins.
Accommodation comprised three reception rooms, a kitchen, a scullery, a pantry and a larder with four bedrooms and a bathroom above. The valuer commented: “Lovely” but also: “House reputed to be damp and that landlord cannot sell”. Outside was a store place, a washhouse, a large wood barn measuring 12 feet 6 inches by 28 feet 6 inches with a loft over it, two more barns, another wood barn, a store place, a barn used as a garage for two cars and a conservatory measuring 12 feet 6 inches by 10 feet.
Kelly's Directory tells us that by 1929 the occupier was Albert William Crawford; he was still in residence in 1931. For part of the later 20th century the property was a hotel by the name of The Old Manor House Hotel.