Long Thatch - 58 Cotton End Road Wilshamstead
Long Thatch - 58 Cotton End Road March 2012
Long Thatch, 58 Cotton End Road, is an attractive old property. It was listed by the former Department of Environment in June 1974 as Grade II, of special interest. The listing states “probably originally a pair” and dates the structure to the 18th century. It is of timber-framed construction with red brick infill and has a thatched roof. Most cottages had a two room plan – that is two rooms downstairs but Long Thatch has four rooms, hence the speculation that it was once a pair of cottages. Like most cottages of the date it has a single storey with attics, the latter being where the beds were positioned. A single storey outhouse projects from the east end.
The Haynes Estate was owned by the Lords Carteret and included the Manor of Wilshamstead. After the extinction of the title the family reverted to their original surname of Thynne. In July 1914 the estate was put up for sale by auction in over two hundred lots. The sale particulars [X67/406] describe Long Thatch as: “The Freehold Detached Old-fashioned Cottage with large Kitchen Garden and Orchard. It is built of Brick with ivy-covered walls and Thatched Roof, and forms a very picturesque and attractive Cottage, known as 128 Wilstead. There are Two Living Rooms, Kitchen and Three Bed Rooms; Barn outside. Let on a yearly tenancy at £4 16s. per annum”.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Like most of the county, Wootton was largely assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting the cottage, then called Ivy Cottage [DV1/C66/19], found that it was owned by A. G. Cooper and occupied by Mrs. G. Cooper.
The cottage stood in just under a third of an acre. Accommodation comprised a parlour, a living room and a kitchen with two bedrooms above in the attics, the valuer commenting: “Bedrooms in roof”. Another hand has commented: “Very nice little property”.