Lower End in 1829
Historians of Totternhoe are lucky in that two detailed maps showing the Bridgewater, later Brownlow Estate survive for the early 19th century. The map of 1829 [BW1004] has a reference book detailing all the land holdings on the estate. Each house in the village is marked, together with a description of the area of the property and the name of the person who inhabited it, whether or not the property was owned by the Estate. The numbers below tie in with the numbers on the map below.
Lower End in 1829 [BW1004] (click for larger version)
- 145: Rick yard; owned by Mr. Basterfield; occupied by William Pratt: 1 rood, 15 poles;
- 146: Farm house, yard, buildings and garden; owned by Mr. Basterfield; occupied by William Pratt; 1 rood, 27 poles [Manor Farm];
- 148: Cottage, cow house and orchard; owned by William Holland; occupied by William Holland; 2 roods;
- 153: Farm house, yard, buildings, garden, rick yard, orchard and moats; owned by the Countess of Bridgewater; occupied by George Fossey; 3 acres, 2 roods, 10 poles [part of the site now occupied by 299 and 301 Castle Hill Road];
- 155: Two cottages and garden; owned by Mr. Basterfield; occupied by James Green and W. East; 18 poles [281 and 283 Castle Hill Road];
- 156: Green's Close, house, barn, yard etc.; owned by Mr. Hunt; occupied by J. Horton and Edward Arnold; 2 acres, 27 poles;
- 157: House, barn, orchard and yard; owned by John Pratt; occupied by John Pratt; 2 roods, 10 poles [210 to 216 Castle Hill Road];
- 158: House, yard, barn and garden; owned by James Leach; occupied by John Leach; 26 poles;
- 159: Four cottages with garden, woodhouses etc.; owned by Mr. Procter; occupied by W. Andrews, John Lines; W. Lines and Robert Abram; 16 poles;
- 162: House, yard, barns, garden and orchard; owned by Lord Bute; occupied by Joseph Jeffs; 1 rood, 21 poles [228 Castle Hill Road];
- 163: House, yard, barn, buildings, garden and orchard; owned by Mr. Gilman; occupied by Michael East; 1 rood, 7 poles;
- 165: Cottage, yard, barn and garden; owned by Miss Fossey; occupied by John Brittan; 16 poles [2 Knolls View];
- 169: Two cottages and garden; owned by Totternhoe Parish; occupied by J. Bliss and J. Darby; 16 poles.