Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Totternhoe > 213 Castle Hill Road Totternhoe

213 Castle Hill Road Totternhoe

213 Castle Hill Road in August 2009
213 Castle Hill Road in August 2009

213 Castle Hill Road was listed by the Department of Environment in September 1980 as Grade II, of special interest. The listing gives a date of 17th century with later alterations. The building was constructed of gault brick on the ground floor, with a timber-framed first floor with red brick nogging [i.e. brick infill of the timber framing]. It has a thatched roof.

In 1829, following the death of the Earl of Bridgewater, his estate in Totternhoe was surveyed [BW1004]. The survey also included every building in the parish, whether owned by the estate or not (and at that date most were not). 213 Castle Hill Road was then described as a cottage, barn and garden owned by William Pratt of Edlesborough [Buckinghamshire] and occupied by James Andrew, standing in 23 poles of land. A similar survey was carried out in 1840 and by at that date William Pratt was still owner and James Andrew still tenant.

The 1841 census reveals that James Andrew, about 50 years old, was an agricultural labourer, living with his wife Sarah, about 55 and their two children George, aged about 20 and Thomas, aged about 15.

At some point William Pratt, or one of his successors in title sold the cottage to Earl Brownlow because in 1916, when his Totternhoe Estate was put up for sale [Z513/22] 213 Castle Hill Road was Lot 18 - described as a detached cottage: "brick and timber built, with thatch roof, occupying a prominent corner position in the Village of Totternhoe and containing: - on the GROUND FLOOR, Living Room, Shop and Wash-house, and on the UPPER FLOOR Two Bedrooms. Water from well. There is a Barn adjoining the House, Orchard and Garden at the rear". The house was built on a site of 1 rood, 29 poles and was let to Amos King for £14 per annum.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every piece of land and property in the country should be valued to determine its rateable value. Totternhoe, like much of Bedfordshire, was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting 213 Castle Hill Road noted that it was then owned and occupied by Amos King (simply noted as "shopkeeper" in Kelly's Directory for 1928). The brick, thatch and slate property comprised a shop, living room and kitchen downstairs with three bedrooms above. Outside stood a brick, weather-boarded and corrugated iron coal barn. The valuer commented: "Unique" and "Old but nice". Attached to the back of the house were two weather-boarded and corrugated iron hen houses, of which the valuer commented: "Neglect". King also owned an orchard of just under half an acre.