Well Head in 1840
Historians of Totternhoe are lucky in that two detailed maps showing the Bridgewater/Brownlow Estate survive for the early 19th century. The map of 1840 [BW1006] has a reference book detailing all the land holdings on the estate. Of most interest, perhaps, is that fact that each house in the village is marked, together with a description of the area of the property and the name of the person who inhabited it. The numbers below tie in with the numbers on the map.
Well Head is now in the parish of Eaton Bray
Well Head in 1840 [BW1006a]
- 3: Tenement on the Waste; 2 poles; owned by Maximilian Shevrall; occupied by Samuel Holt;
- 4: Cottage and garden; 16 poles; owned by Nathaniel Cartwright; occupied by James Hutchins;
- 5 and 6: two tenements and garden; 16 poles; owned by Nathaniel Cartwright; occupied by T. Room and H. Norman