Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Totternhoe > 210 to 216 Castle Hill Road Totternhoe

210 to 216 Castle Hill Road Totternhoe

210 to 216 Castle Hill Road February 2010
210 to 216 Castle Hill Road February 2010

In 1829, following the death of the Earl of Bridgewater, his estate in Totternhoe was surveyed [BW1004]. The survey also included every building in the parish, whether owned by the estate or not (and at that date most were not). At that date today's terrace was described as: " House, barn, orchard and yard; owned by John Pratt; occupied by John Pratt; 2 roods, 10 poles". From the road Number 210 looks old enough to have been the house of 1829 but without deeds or a closer look it is impossible to say for sure.

A similar survey was carried out in 1840 and at that date Elizabeth Pratt was owner and Thomas Pratt occupier. The 1841 census indicates that both may have been living at the property, occupying different parts of the house. Elizabeth was about 60 and had independent means, she had Mary Goss, a 12 year old straw plaiter living with her. Thomas was about 35 and a farmer. Living with him was his wife Mary, about 30 and their children William 13, Thomas, 7 and Daniel, 4. Fifteen year old Rebecca Dancer was also living with them.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every piece of land and property in the country should be valued to determine its rateable value. Totternhoe, like much of Bedfordshire, was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting 210-216 Castle Hill Road [DV1/C105-21] noted that the row was then divided into three dwellings, all owned by A. H. King who lived in one of them himself and rented the other two out - to R. Holland who paid three shillings per week in rent and F. King who paid 4/6 rent per week.

King's own end of terrace dwelling comprised a living room, kitchen and scullery downstairs with three bedrooms above with a brick, weather-boarded and corrugated iron five bay barn outside ("one bay is used as a garage"). Holland occupied a living room and kitchen combined and a scullery downstairs with two bedrooms above and King, a living room, kitchen and two sculleries downstairs with four bedrooms above as here "2 cottages have been made one".