21 and 23 West End Road Silsoe
21 and 23 West End Road in 1961 [Z53/104/12]
21 and 23 West End Road were once a single property and were listed by the former Department of Environment in January 1985 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the property to the 16th century. They are not shown on a map of 1718 prepared for a rental survey for the Duke of Kent [L33/286 folio 11] but this might imply that they were not then part of the estate and so not shown.
The building has a timber-framed construction, partly exposed with brick infill to the gable of Number 23 and rendered elsewhere. The roof is of 20th century tiles. The property has two storeys. A map drawn up for the 2nd Earl de Grey in 1856 [L33/12/13] shows that 21 and 23 West End Road were in the occupation of G. A. Dunham and George Ashwell.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting 21 and 23 West End Road [DV1/C236/18-19] found Number 21 was owned and occupied by Charles W. Walker. He had bought the house from the Wrest Park Estate in December 1918 for £87/10/- as the sitting tenant [L23/294].
His accommodation comprised a reception room, a living room and a kitchen with three bedrooms above. A weather-boarded and tiled barn stood outside. The valuer opined "Very nice. Bay window down, good outside" and "A nice little property, well kept".
Number 23 was owned and occupied by Charles Whiffin who had a living room, a kitchen and three bedrooms. A weather-boarded and tiled barn and a weather-boarded and asbestos washhouse stood outside. The valuer commented "nice". He had bought his half of the building at the same time Walker bought his, for £87/10/- [L33/292].
21 and 23 West End Road March 2011