18 to 22 West End Road Silsoe
18 to 22 West End Road in 1961 [Z53/104/12]
This row of three cottages was listed by the former Department of Environment in June 1991 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the cottages to the 17th century with 19th century alterations and extension. A map of 1718 to accompany a rental survey for the Duke of Kent does not show any building on this site [L33/286 folio 11]. It is possible that the cottages were not yet owned by the estate and are not shown for this reason.
The row is built of plaster over a timber frame, ground storey being under-built in brick. The rood has plain tiles in front and is slate clad at the rear. Each cottage has exposed beams inside.
A map drawn up for the 2nd Earl de Grey in 1856 [L33/12/13] shows that 18 West End Road was occupied by James Swannell, 20 by Jacob Swannell and 22 by William King. We know that Jacob Swannell was a Primitive Methodist as his house was registered as a meeting house in 1861.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting 18 to 22 West End Road [DV1/C236/32-34] found all three cottages owned by Mrs. F. Carvell. She had, presumably, bought them from the Wrest Park Estate when it was being broken up and sold off by Nan Ino, 10th Baroness Lucas in1918 and 1919.
Number 18 was occupied by Mrs. James Newbury who paid rent of four shillings per week for a living room, a kitchen and three small bedrooms. She also had a brick and tiled barn outside. Number 20 was in the occupation of Frederick Carvell who paid no rent. His accommodation comprised a living room, a kitchen, a scullery and three small bedrooms. He had a brick and tiled barn outside. Number 22 was tenanted by John Scott, who paid four shillings a week for a living room, a kitchen and two bedrooms, with a brick and tiled barn outside. The valuer summed up: "Row of three nice looking cottages".
18 to 22 West End Road 2011