Nutcracker Cottage - 108 High Road Shillington
108 High Road April 2015
Nutcracker Cottage was listed by the former Department of Environment in July 1975 as Grade II, of special interest. The house has a single storey and attics and dates from the late 17th century. It is timber-framed coated in colour-washed roughcast render and has a clay tile roof.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer found that the building was then divided into two dwellings, both owned by Trinity College, Cambridge, Lords of the Manor of Shillington Rectory [DV1/C74/104-105]. The south-western half was inhabited by A Jepps who had a living room, a kitchen and two bedrooms. He did not know his rent as part was accounted for by deduction from his wages. He had a barn outside. The other half was in occupation of W Kefford who paid six guineas per annum rent fora living room, a kitchen, three bedrooms and a barn. The valuer commented that the building was a "nice little place".