Green Farm - 58 High Road Shillington
58 High Road July 2015
58 High Road is a delightful old property, listed by the former Department of Environment in July 1975 as Grade II, of special interest. The property dates from the 17th century and is of timber-framed construction with pebbledash render and some parts re-cased in yellow brick. It has a clay tile roof. The house is built in a T-plan and has two storeys. There is a yellow brick lean-to addition to right-hand gable end and a red brick outbuilding to left-hand side.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the property [DV1/C75/63] found the owner-occupier was Mrs E Ansell. The house stood in just over half an acre and comprised two living rooms, two kitchens, a coal store and three bedrooms. Two wood and corrugated iron piggeries stood outside. The valuer made various notes: "large garden", "was two cottages" and "big old place".