36 to 40 Church Street Shillington
36 and 38 Church Street March 2014
36 to 40 Church Street were listed by the former Department of Environment in July 1975 as Grade II, of special interest. The row dates from the early 17th century and the 18th century "with later additions". It is of timber-framed construction rendered in pebbledash. Number 36, which was formerly a beerhouse called the Commander in Chief, has a slated roof the other two have clay tiled roofs.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the properties [DV1/C75/25-27] found they were all owned by Miss E Wilshere.
Number 36 was occupied by E Jepps who paid £6 per annum for a living room, a kitchen and three bedrooms. A barn stood outside. Number 38 was in occupation of Miss E Tingey who paid rent of £5 per annum for a living room, a kitchen and three bedrooms. A barn stood outside. Number 40 was occupied by Miss J Jepps who paid £5 for a living room, a kitchen and two bedrooms. A barn stood outside. The valuer commented on all three entries: "Big Garden".
40 Church Street March 2014