Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Clophill > Journeys End Clophill

Journeys End Clophill

Journey's End July 2010
Journey's End July 2010

At first sight Journey's End looks like another of Clophill's old thatched cottages. Appearances can be deceiving. Bedfordshire's Historic Environment Record details every historic building and landscape feature in the county and is now available on-line as part of the Heritage Gateway website. The entry for Journey's End [HER 10549] states: "Post medieval Mock timber-framed 1 storey cottage with thatched roof". The timber framing certainly looks more convincing than many "mock medieval" buildings.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed as to its rateable value. Clophill was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting Journey's End [DV1/C47/63] found it owned and occupied by E. J. Harris.

The stucco and thatched detached property comprised a parlour, living room and kitchen downstairs with three bedrooms in the roof. A weather-boarded and corrugated iron earth closet stood outside.