15 The Green Clophill
15 The Green about 1920 [Z1130/31/43]
15 The Green used to be a shop. The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed as to its rateable value. Clophill was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting 15 the Green [DV1/C46/12] found it owned and occupied by A. Juffs. The brick and tile premises stood in just over half an acre.
Accommodation on the ground floor comprised a living room ("poor"), kitchen, scullery and shop - 15 The Green was a bakery. The shop measured 10 feet by 13 feet. Three bedrooms lay overhead along with a lumber room. The valuer commented: "Enormous slope at back".
The brick and tile bakery itself stood outside. It had a four bushel oven and a cooling room with a store over the whole. It measured 13 feet square. Also outside were:
- a brick, weather-boarded and slated open shed with a loft over;
- a brick and corrugated iron open shed and pigsties ("not used");
- a weather-boarded and tiled barn and cart house containing an earth closet;
- a weather-boarded and tiled stable;
- a weather-boarded and tiled trap house and store used for lumber;
- a brick and tiled coal barn.
The valuer commented: "Garden about ¼ acre, used kitchen garden, not worth separate assessment" and "bakehouse very small".
15 The Green February 2010