6 Mill Lane Clophill
6 Mill Lane March 2010
This attractive brick built cottage forms a nice trio with the older properties 2 and 8 Mill Lane. As it happens all were once owned by the same man.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed as to its rateable value. Clophill was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting 6 Mill Lane discovered that it was called Blair Cottage and was owned and occupied by A. E. Sanders, who also owned 2 and 8 Mill Lane [DV1/C46/135].
The brick and slate detached building comprised a parlour, living room, kitchen and scullery downstairs. Three bedrooms lay upstairs. Outside stood a weather-boarded and corrugated iron wood barn, a brick and slate coal barn and a brick and corrugated iron earth closet. The valuer noted the porch to the front door and noted that it had a wardrobe over it. He commented: "Estate type of cottage".