Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Clophill > 3 High Street Clophill

3 High Street Clophill

3 High Street March 2010
3 High Street March 2010

3 High Street, then called The Cottage, was listed by English Heritage in January 1985 as Grade II, of special interest. They considered it to be an 18th century house. It is constructed of colourwashed roughcast over a timber frame and has a thatched roof.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed as to its rateable value. Clophill was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting 3 High Street, then called Goodrest [DV1/C46/21]  noted that it was owned by A. Cakebread (possibly Arthur Cakebread, the village blacksmith) and occupied by Mrs. L. M. Ashworth and Mrs. G. M. Lejeune. They had paid £20 per annum in rent before the Great War and by 1927 paid £24 per annum.

The brick, stucco, timber and thatched detached property comprised a parlour, living room and scullery downstairs with two bedrooms above. Outside stood a weather-boarded and felt earth closet, a weather-boarded and tiled earth closet and a weather-boarded and slated lean-to. The valuer commented: "Nice place" and "Weekend type Bedrooms in roof". He also commented: "Let as a weekend type. When referenced occupiers had rented it for a fortnight. Nicely furnished. A bay of cartshed [next door] used as a garage when required".