Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Clophill > 46 High Street Clophill

46 High Street Clophill

46 High Street July 2010
46 High Street July 2010

It is quite clear even today that 46 High Street was once a shop. The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed as to its rateable value. Clophill was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting 46 High Street found it owned and occupied by Linden C. Wootton [DV1/C288/41].

The brick and slate detached premises comprised a parlour, living room, kitchen, scullery and shop downstairs, with three bedrooms above. Outside stood a weather-boarded and corrugated iron barn and earth closet with a loft over, a weather-boarded and corrugated iron tool shed, and a brick and slate earth closet.

The valuer noted that the shop occupied one bay and measured 12 feet by 20 feet. he commented: "Tailor's Shop used as post office also very good house". Kelly's Directories for Bedfordshire list Linden C. Wootton, tailor and post office in 1928. the editions of 1931, 1936 and 1940 list him simply as "confectioner". The various editions 1894, 1898, 1900, 1903, 1906, 1910, 1914, 1920 and 1924 list James Wootton as tailor and post office. In 1869, 1877 and 1885 james Wootton is simply listed as a tailor.

In 2010 the property was for sale and then comprised [Z449/5/28]: an entrance hall (11 feet 9 inches by 6 feet); a cloakroom; a kitchen/breakfast room in an L-shape; a dining area; a family room (19 feet 8 inches by 11 feet 8 inches - the old shop); an inner lobby; a lounge (14 feet 2 inches by 11 feet); five bedrooms and a bathroom.