Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Clophill > 6 and 8 The Green Clophill

6 and 8 The Green Clophill

6 and 8 The Green March 2010
6 and 8 The Green March 2010

6 and 8 The Green were listed by English Heritage in January 1985 as Grade II, of special interest. They dated the pair of cottages to about 1800. They have a red brick front elevation with pebbledash render on the other walls and a thatched roof. A singe storey 20th century extension stands at the rear.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed as to its rateable value. Clophill was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting 6 and 8 The Green found them owned by Arthur Cakebread, the village blacksmith who lived at 4 High Street [DV1/C288/80-81].

Number 6 was occupied by R. Grummitt at a rent of six shillings per week (it had been £5 per annum before the Great War). Accommodation comprised a parlour, living room, scullery and pantry downstairs with two bedrooms in the roof. Outside stood a brick and tiled washhouse, a weather-boarded and tiled barn and earth closet and a weather-boarded and slated hen house.

Number 8 was in the occupation of H. W. Baker who paid 8 shillings per week furnished in rent. His domestic accommodation was the same as Grummitt's save that outside he had a weather-boarded and corrugated iron barn and a weather-boarded and tile earth closet. The valuer commented: "Very poor, low roof".