124 High Street Clophill
124 High Street February 2010
124 High Street was listed by English Heritage in January 1985 as Grade II, of special interest. They dated the property to the 19th century. It is constructed of colourwashed roughcast render over a timber frame with a thatched roof. It has a simple two room plan and has a single storey with attics.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed as to its rateable value. Clophill was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting 124 High Street [DV1/C47/132] discovered that to was owned and occupied by D. Sheppard.
The brick, stucco and thatched detached property comprised a living room, kitchen and scullery downstairs with two bedrooms in the roof. A brick and tiled washhouse, a brick, weather-boarded and tiled coal barn and a brick and slate earth closet stood outside. The property included two adjoining fields measuring 0.380, and 1.615 acres respectively as well as a weather-boarded, tiled and corrugated iron hovel used for lumber and hens, two good brick and tiled pigsties which were, however, disused and two weather-boarded and felt hen houses.