Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Wilstead > Vicarage Farm Wilshamstead

Vicarage Farm Wilshamstead

Vicarage Farmhouse in 1962 [Z53/134/7]
Vicarage Farmhouse in 1962 [Z53/134/7]

Vicarage Farmhouse was listed by the former Department of Environment in June 1974 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the building to the 17th century, noting that it has been reworked in both the 19th and 20th centuries. It is a timber-framed construction with pebbledash render, though the north gable has been rebuilt in red brick. The house is in an L-shape and comprises two storeys beneath a clay tiled roof. 19th and 20th century additions were added on to the south

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Like most of the county, Wilshamstead was largely assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting Vicarage Farm [DV1/H42/28] found it owned and occupied by Charles Boston and comprising 110 acres. The valuer commented: “Drinking water from Duck End Farm”.

The farmhouse comprised a kitchen, scullery, dairy and reception room with four bedrooms above. There was an earth closet outside. The homestead comprised the following: a stable for four horses; a chaff house; a barn; another barn and cow place for three beasts; another barn; a hovel; a granary; a henhouse; another hovel; an open cart hovel and an open five bay hovel. These buildings were in three ranges and all constructed from brick, weather-boarding and thatch.