80 and 82 Cotton End Road Wilshamstead
80 and 82 Cotton End Road March 2012
80 and 82 Cotton End Road lie next top the former infants school but pre-date it by some considerable time. The pair of houses was listed by the former Department of Environment in June 1974 as Grade II, of special interest. The houses date from the 18th century, though with 19th century alterations and extensions. Number 80 is timber-framed with pebbledash render and Number 82 is built of mottled brick – both dwellings lie under a clay tiled roof.
The houses formed part of the Manor of Wilshamstead and thus of Haynes Estate, owned by the Lords Carteret until the title became extinct, the family then reverting to its former surname of Thynne and continuing to hold the estate until it was put up for sale by auction in July 1914. The sale particulars [X67/406] describe the properties as: “Two Capital Freehold Cottages and Gardens, known as 130 and 131 Wilstead, No. 130 is double-fronted in Brick and Rough Cast with Tiled Roof, and No. 131 is Brick and Tiled. Each Cottage contains: Living Room, Kitchen and two Bed Rooms; Barn outside. Let at aggregate rentals amounting to £6 10s. per annum”.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Like most of the county, Wilshamstead was largely assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting the dwellings [DV1/C66/16-17] found that they were owned by a Mrs. Finding.
Number 80 was occupied by T. Scott whose rent was £6/10/- per annum. Accommodation comprised a living room, a kitchen and two bedrooms. Next door was in the occupation of Mrs. Kendall who paid the same rent for a living room, a kitchen and scullery with two bedrooms above.
80 Cotton End Road March 2012