Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Totternhoe > Middle End in 1840

Middle End in 1840

Historians of Totternhoe are lucky in that two detailed maps showing the Bridgewater/Brownlow Estate survive for the early 19th century. The map of 1840 [BW1006] has a reference book detailing all the land holdings on the estate. Of most interest, perhaps, is that fact that each house in the village is marked, together with a description of the area of the property and the name of the person who inhabited it. The numbers below tie in with the numbers on the maps. 

The Eastern Part of Middle End

 The eastern part of Middle End in 1840 [BW1006a]

The eastern part of Middle End in 1840 [BW1006a]

146 Castle Hill Road - Middle End Cottage February 2010

  • 90. Tenement, yard and garden; 10 poles; owned by the Countess of Bridgewater; occupied by John Hunt [in pencil is written "Earl Brownlow"] [146 Castle Hill Road];

148 Castle Hill Road - Tudor Cottage February 2010

  • 91. Two houses, outbuildings, yard and garden; 21 poles; owned by Samuel Pratt; occupied by James Andrew junior and another [148 Castle Hill Road];
  • 98. Farm House, Outbuildings, Yard etc.; 15 poles; owned by George Fossey; occupied by John Holt;
  • 105. Tenement, yard, garden. etc.; 17 poles; owned by Thomas Turvey; occupied by Robert Horton;

Poplar Farm February 2010

  • 108. Farm house, outbuildings, yard, garden etc.; 1 rood, 12 poles; owned by John Pinniger; occupied by Horton Battams [marginal note "Earl Brownlow, Battams, H.] [Poplar Farm]

The Western Part of Middle End

The western part of Middle End in 1840 [BW1006a]

The western part of Middle End in 1840 [BW1006a] (click to enlarge)

188 Castle Hill Road December 2008

  • 102. Farm house, outbuildings and garden; 1 rood; owned by Nathaniel Cartwright; occupied by Hannah and Maria Pratt [188 Castle Hill Road];
  • 103. Barn, shed and rick yard; 30 poles; owned by Nathaniel Cartwright; occupied by Hannah and Maria Pratt;
  • 104. Farm yard, outbuildings, garden etc.; 28 poles; owned by Hannah and Maria Pratt; occupied by Hannah and Maria Pratt;
  • 113. Barn and garden; 9 poles; owned by Nathaniel Cartwright; occupied by Hannah and Maria Pratt;
  • 114a. Smith's shop; 2 poles; owned by Charles Meacher; occupied by Samuel Brown;
  • 117. Farm house, outbuildings, yard and garden; 1 rood, 31 poles; owned by Thomas Hunt; occupied by Robert Horton;

The Cross Keys August 2009

Houses between Church End and Middle End

Buildings between Church End and Middle End in 1840 [BW1006a]

Buildings between Church End and Middle End in 1840

  • 76. Tenements and gardens; 18 poles; owned by Totternhoe Parish; occupied by Mark Abraham and others;
  • 83. Cottages, buildings and garden; 24 poles; owned by John Varney; occupied by John Varney