148 Castle Hill Road - Tudor Cottage February 2010
148 Castle Hill Road, like its neighbour Number 146, stands out as an older property in an area of Totternhoe otherwise filled with late 20th century housing. In 1829, following the death of the Earl of Bridgewater, his estate in Totternhoe was surveyed [BW1004]. The survey also included every building in the parish, whether owned by the estate or not (and at that date most were not). 148 Castle Hill Road was then in existence and described as; " Dwelling house, barns, yard, garden and orchard; owned by Samuel Pratt; occupied by Samuel Pratt; 1 rood, 16 poles."
A similar survey was carried out in 1840 and by that date James Andrew junior "and another" were in residence, though Samuel Pratt was still owner. The 1841 census reveals that Andrew was aged about 25 and an agricultural labourer. He was living with his wife, Hannah, who was about 20 and their daughter Mary, aged about 1. The "other" was John Andrew, also about 25, living with his wife, also named Hannah and about 25. Their children were Elizabeth, 7, James, 4, Sabrinah, 2 and Ruth aged 1.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every piece of land and property in the country should be valued to determine its rateable value. Totternhoe, like much of Bedfordshire, was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting 148 Castle Hill Road [DV1/C105/27] found that the owner was H. Archer and the occupier B. Battrick, who paid fifteen shillings per week rent. The brick, slate and thatch property comprised a living room with kitchen and scullery combined and two bedrooms above. It was, in the valuer's opinion, "Awful".
The Bedfordshire Historic Environment Record [HER 6946] describes the house as follows: "17th century, extensively altered. Timber framed with whitewashed brick nogging [brick infill of the timber framing]. Rear whitewashed brick. One storey and attics. Clay tile roof. Modern windows".