Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Totternhoe > Middle End in 1829

Middle End in 1829

Historians of Totternhoe are lucky in that two detailed maps showing the Bridgewater, later Brownlow Estate survive for the early 19th century. The map of 1829 [BW1004] has a reference book detailing all the land holdings on the estate. Each house in the village is marked, together with a description of the area of the property and the name of the person who inhabited it, whether or not the property was owned by the Estate. The numbers below tie in with the numbers on the maps.

 Middle End in 1829 v2

Middle End in 1829 [BW1004] (click for larger version)


146 Castle Hill Road - Middle End Cottage February 2010

  • 90: Cottage, yard, garden and orchard: owned by the Countess of Bridgewater [146 Castle Hill Road]; 

148 Castle Hill Road - Tudor Cottage February 2010

  • 91: Dwelling house, barns, yard, garden and orchard; owned by Samuel Pratt; occupied by Samuel Pratt; 1 rood, 16 poles [148 Castle Hill Road];
  • 98: Farm house, yard, buildings and orchard; owned by Mr. Fossey; occupied by William Holt; 1 acre, 1 rood, 19 poles;

188 Castle Hill Road December 2008

  • 102: Farm house, yard, buildings, garden and orchard; owned by Mr. Cartwright; occupied by Richard Pratt; 1 acre, 32 poles [now 188 Castle Hill Road];
  • 103: Barn, shed and rick yard; owned by Mr. Cartwright; occupied by Richard Pratt; 30 poles;
  • 104: Farm yard, barn, buildings, cottage, garden and orchard: owned by Mrs. Pratt; occupied by Richard Pratt; 1 rood, 12 poles;
  • 105: Two cottages, carpenter's shop, yard and garden; owned by Thomas Turvey; occupied by James Purton and George Wells; 17 poles;

Poplar Farm February 2010

  • 108: Farm house, yard, buildings, garden and rick yard; owned by Mr. Pinnaces; occupied by Horton Battams; 1 rood, 12 poles [Poplar Farm];
  • 113: Garden and barn; owned by Mr. Cartwright; occupied by Richard Pratt; 9 poles;
  • 117: Farm house, yard, buildings, garden and orchard; owned by Mr. Hunt; occupied by Thomas Horton; 1 rood, 11 poles;

The Cross Keys August 2009

  • 121: Cross Keys Public House, yard, buildings and garden; owned by Mr. Hunt; occupied by John Clements; 1 rood, 1 pole;
  • 123: Cottage and garden; owned by John Battams; occupied by John Darby; 7 poles;
  • 124: Yard, barn and shed; owned by William Twidel; occupied by Richard Banes; 6 poles;
  • 125: Cottage and garden; owned by William Twidel; occupied by William King; 6 poles;
  • 126: Two cottages and garden; owned by Samuel Brown; occupied by William Holt and G. Cook; 6 poles;

213 Castle Hill Road in August 2009

  • 128: Cottage, barn, garden etc.; owned by William Pratt of Edlesborough [Buckinghamshire]; occupied by James Andrews; 23 poles [213 Castle Hill Road];

Lane Farm January 2010

  • 131: Farm house, yard, buildings, garden, rick yard, orchard and lane; owned by John Pedley; occupied by James Pratt; 1 acre, 2 roods, 38 poles [Lane Farm]

231 Castle Hill Road - The White House February 2010

  • 142: Cottage, yard, barn and orchard; owned by Samuel Brown; occupied by Abraham Day and Samuel Brown; 3 roods, 36 poles [231 Castle Hill Road].

Houses between Church End and Middle End

Houses between Middle End and Church End in 1829 [BW1004]

  • 76: Three cottages and garden; owned by Totternhoe Parish; occupied by Mark Abram, William Fowler and Elizabeth Foster; 18 poles;
  • 83: Cottage, yard and barn; owned by John Varney; occupied by John Reeves; 24 poles.