Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Totternhoe > Lower End in 1840

Lower End in 1840

Historians of Totternhoe are lucky in that two detailed maps showing the Bridgewater/Brownlow Estate survive for the early 19th century. The map of 1840 [BW1006] has a reference book detailing all the land holdings on the estate. Of most interest, perhaps, is that fact that each house in the village is marked, together with a description of the area of the property and the name of the person who inhabited it. The numbers below tie in with the numbers on the maps.

The Eastern Part of Lower End

The eastern part of Lower End in 1840 [BW1006] v2

The eastern part of Lower End in 1840 [BW1006]

  • 123. Tenement and garden; 7 poles; owned by Nathaniel Cartwright; occupied by John Darby [marginal note "Earl Brownlow"];
  • 124. Barn, shed and yard; 6 poles; owned by William Twidell; occupied by Richard Banes;
  • 125. Tenement and garden; 6 poles; owned by William Twidell; occupied by William King;
  • 126. Tenement and garden; 6 poles; owned by Charles Meacher; occupied by John Jeffs;

213 Castle Hill Road in August 2009

  • 128. Tenement, outbuildings and yard; 17 poles; owned by William Pratt; occupied by James Andrew [213 Castle Hill Road];
  • 128a. Part of the rick yard; 6 poles; owned by Arthur Macnamara; occupied by James Andrew [marginal note "Earl Brownlow, W. Pratt"];
  • 141b. Bakehouse and premises; 11 poles; owned by William Pratt senior; occupied by James Seabrook;

The former Wesleyan Methodist Chapel February 2010

  • 141c. Methodist Chapel; 4 poles; owned and occupied by the Trustees of the Methodist Society;
  • 141d. Four cottages and gardens; 21 poles; owned by William Pratt senior; occupied by Abel Mead and others;

221-223 Castle Hill Road February 2010

  • 141e. Three cottages and gardens; 25 poles; owned by William Pratt senior; occupied by Thomas Holt and others [221 and 223 Castle Hill Road];

231 Castle Hill Road - The White House February 2010

  • 142. Tenement, yard, garden etc.; 13 poles; owned by Charles Meacher; occupied by Abraham Day and another [231 Castle Hill Road]

Lane Farm

Lane Farm in 1840 [BW1006a]
Lane Farm in 1840 [BW1006a]

Lane Farm January 2010

  • 131. Farm house, outbuildings, yard and lane; 2 roods, 17 poles; owned by Arthur Macnamara; occupied by Daniel Twidell junior [marginal note "Earl Brownlow, J. Gurney"] [Lane Farm];
  • 141a. Two cottages and gardens; 8 poles; owned by William Pratt senior; occupied by Thomas Foster and another.

The Western Part of Lower End

The western part of Lower End in 1840 [BW1006

The western part of Lower End in 1840 [BW1006]

Manor Farm February 2010

  • 146. Farm house, yard, offices, garden; 1 rood, 27 poles; owned by Sarah Basterfield; occupied by William Pratt [marginal note "Earl Brownlow, W. Pratt"] [Manor Farm];
  • 148. Tenement, outbuilding and garden; 16 poles; owned by William Holland; occupied by William Holland;

299 and 301 Castle Hill Road January 2010

  • 153. Farm house, outbuildings etc.; 1 acre, 1 rood, 10 poles; owned by the Countess of Bridgewater; occupied by George Fossey [part of site now occupied by 299 and 301 Castle Hill Road];

281 and 283 Castle Hill Road August 2009

  • 155. Tenements and garden; 18 poles; owned by Sarah Basterfield; occupied by T. Bliss and another [281 to 283 Castle Hill Road];
  • 156. House, barns etc.; 18 poles; owned by Thomas Hunt; occupied by Robert Horton;

210 to 216 Castle Hill Road February 2010

  • 157. House, barn, garden and yard; 1 rood; owned by Elizabeth Pratt; occupied by Thomas Pratt [210 to 216 Castle Hill Road];
  • 158. House, yard, barn and garden; 26 poles; owned by Thomas Leach; occupied by Thomas Leach;
  • 159. Tenements, outbuildings and gardens; 16 poles; owned by Thomas Procter; occupied by Samuel Purton and others;

228 Castle Hill Road Totternhoe February 2010

  • 162. House, outbuildings, yard and garden; 25 poles; owned by Daniel Twidell; occupied by Daniel Twidell [228 Castle Hill Road];
  • 163. House, outbuildings, yard and garden; 9 poles; owned by Daniel Twidell; occupied by J. Leach and another;
  • 163b. Three cottages; 9 poles; owned by Daniel Twidell; occupied by John Pratt and others;

2 Knolls View January 2010

  • 165. Cottage, barn and garden; 16 poles; owned by Ann Fossey; occupied by Thomas Simmonds [2 Knolls View];
  • 169. Tenements and garden; 16 poles; owned by Totternhoe Parish; occupied by T. Bliss and others;