Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Totternhoe > Church End in 1840

Church End in 1840

Historians of Totternhoe are lucky in that two detailed maps showing the Bridgewater/Brownlow Estate survive for the early 19th century. The map of 1840 [BW1006] has a reference book detailing all the land holdings on the estate. Of most interest, perhaps, is that fact that each house in the village is marked, together with a description of the area of the property and the name of the person who inhabited it. The numbers below tie in with the numbers on the maps. 

Church End in 1840 [BW1006]

Church End in 1840 [BW1006] (click to enlarge)

  • 13: Cottage and garden; 15 poles; owned by Thomas Hunt; occupied by Joseph Dudley;

Glebe House December 2008

  • 15a: Vicarage House; 2 roods, 31 poles; Rev. William Bruton Wroth; Rev. Thomas Lister Sunderland [now Glebe House];

Wishing Well Cottage February 2010

  • 20: Tenements, barn etc.; 23 poles; Rev. William Bruton Wroth; J. Purton; Charlotte Harbon [4 The Ride];
  • 23: Scite of the Old Vicarage House and garden; 2 roods, 30 poles; Rev. William Bruton Wroth; Rev. William Bruton Wroth;

Church Farm August 2009

  • 25: Farm house, yards, offices etc., 1 rood, 15 poles; the Countess of Bridgewater; George Fossey [Church Farm];

33 Church Road January 2010

  • 26: Tenements, yard, buildings and garden; 24 poles; owned by Geary Tompkins; occupied by Geary Tompkins and others [33 Church Road];
  • 28: Tenements, outbuildings and gardens; 36 poles; Joseph Osborn; Sarah Purton and another;

The former Old Bell Public House January 2010

Lockington Farmhouse August 2009

  • 31. House, offices, yards and garden; 2 roods, 15 poles; owned by the Trustees of the Lockington Charity, Dunstable; occupied by Benjamin Johnson [Lockington Farm];
  • 32. Five tenements and gardens; 20 poles; owned by Robert Scott; occupied by William Turvey and others;

31 Church Road - Pear Tree Cottage February 2010

  • 33. Tenement, buildings, garden etc.; 19 poles; owned by Benjamin Purton; occupied by Benjamin Purton and another [31 Church Road];
  • 33a. Tenements and gardens; 7 poles; owned by Benjamin Purton; occupied by T. Hutchins and others;

28 Wellhead Road January 2010

  • 35. Tenements, yard and garden; 15 poles; owned by Daniel Twidell; occupied by Reuben Hutchins and others [28 Wellhead Road];
  • 37. Tenements, outbuildings and garden; 19 poles; owned by David Lee Willis [Leighton Buzzard solicitor]; occupied by W. Fulks and another;

36 Wellhead Road August 2009

  • 38. Tenements, outbuildings and garden; 30 poles; owned by David Lee Willis; occupied by John Roe and another [36 Wellhead Road];
  • 40. Tenements and garden; 12 poles; owned by Totternhoe parish; occupied by William Turner and another;

35 Wellhead Road January 2010

  • 41. Tenements and garden; 14 poles; owned by Daniel Twidell; occupied by G. Wells and another [35 Wellhead Road];

3 Wellhead Road January 2010

  • 42. Tenements and gardens; 14 poles; owned by Edward Snoxell; occupied by Edward Snoxell and another [3 Wellhead Road];
  • 43. Tenements, outbuildings and garden; 1 rood, 22 poles; owned by Thomas Turvey; occupied by G. Snoxell and another;
  • 43a. Tenement, outbuildings and garden; 20 poles; owned by George Kempston; occupied by George Kempston;
  • 44. House, outbuilding and garden; 16 poles; owned by Thomas Turvey; occupied by Thomas Turvey;
  • 44b. Two tenements and gardens; 20 poles; owned by Thomas Turvey; occupied by Francis Peppiatt and another;
  • 45. Tenement, smith's shop and garden; 7 poles; owned by Thomas Turvey; occupied by J. Janes and another;
  • 46. Meeting House; 3 poles; owned by Thomas Turvey; occupied by the Methodist Trustees;

7 Church Road February 2010

  • 46a. Cottage and garden; 6 poles; owned by Thomas Turvey; occupied by Joseph Holland [7 Church Road];

Green Farm February 2010

  • 47. Tenements, building and garden; 37 poles; owned by Thomas Turvey; occupied by Thomas Turvey and another [Green Farm now occupies this site];
  • 49. House, buildings and yard; 12 poles; owned by John Turvey; occupied by James Morgan [Solomon Holland written against this entry in pencil];
  • 49a. Tenement, outbuilding and garden; 7 poles; owner John Turvey; occupier Jeremiah Purton [W. Fowler written against this entry in pencil];

The Old Farm Inn August 2009

  • 50. Farm house, outbuildings, yards and garden; 2 roods, 20 poles; owned by Thomas Hunt; occupied by Daniel Twidell [Old Farm Public House was part of this site];

The Briars February 2010

  • 53. King's Arms Public House, outbuildings, yard and gardens; 29 poles; owned by Thomas Hunt; occupied by Thomas Battams [The Briars now on this site];

34 Church Green January 2010

  • 54. Farm house, buildings, yard and garden; 1 acre, 22 poles; owned by John Olney; occupied by John Olney [Orchard House occupies some of this site];
  • 56. Farm house, outbuildings, yard and garden; 32 poles; owned by William Pratt; occupied by William Pratt and another;

18 to 22 Church Green February 2010

  • 60. Cottage and garden; 6 poles; owned by John Olney; occupied by William Kingston [18 to 22 Church Green now stand on this site];
  • 64. Three tenements, buildings and garden; 21 poles; owned by Christopher Buckmaster; occupied by Jeffrey Neale and others [in pencil is written "Solomon Holland, John Turvey"];
  • 65. Tenement, building and garden; 2 poles; owned by John Fulks; occupied by John Fulks;
  • 66. Tenements, buildings and gardens; 15 poles; owned by Benjamin Purton; occupied by R. Holland and others;

Lancotbury January 2010

  • 67. Farm house, offices and garden; 2 roods; 15 poles; owned by Thomas Hunt; occupied by Daniel Twidell [Lancotbury; on pencil is written "now Earl Brownlow, W. Pratt"] [Lancotbury];

Houses between Church End and Middle End

Buildings between Church End and Middle End in 1840 [BW1006a]

Buildings between Church End and Middle End in 1840

  • 76. Tenements and gardens; 18 poles; owned by Totternhoe Parish; occupied by Mark Abraham and others;
  • 83. Cottages, buildings and garden; 24 poles; owned by John Varney; occupied by John Varney;

The Corner of Green Lane [now in Dunstable]

The Totternhoe Pest House in 1840 [BW1006a]

The Totternhoe Pest House in 1840 [BW1006a]

  • 1: Pest House, yard, garden, barn and rick yard: 3 roods, 21 poles; owned by the Countess of Bridgewater; occupied by George Fossey;

Cottages South-East of the Church [now demolished]

Tenements south-east of Totternhoe church in 1840 [BW1006a]

Tenements south-east of Totternhoe church in 1840

  • 11. Tenements and garden; 31 poles; owned by Daniel Twidell; occupied by Thomas Purton and James Kempston;