Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Shillington > Sources for Education in Shillington

Sources for Education in Shillington

Shillington Lower School sign April 2015

The following list gives all the sources relating to education in Shillington held by Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service. Due to the terms of the Data Protection Act records containing personal details of living individuals will be closed in total, or in part, depending on the nature of the information.

Early Education

  •  ABC1: "Creke the scholemaste": 1578;
  •  ABC3 page 207: the schoolmaster "kepeth a suspected person in his house": 1578;
  •  P44/5/1: mending a broken wall into the schoolhouse: 1583;
  •  P44/5/1: providing a lock for the school door: 1588;
  •  P44/5/1: mending the school: 1595;
  •  P44/5/1: money paid for the school: 1597;
  •  P44/5/1: work on the schoolhouse: 1601;
  •  Trinity College Cambridge archive: John Davy became schoolmaster: 1647;
  •  P44/5/2: repairs to school windows: 1605;
  •  P44/5/2: mending the schoolhouse: 1616;
  •  P44/5/2: schooling of William Meade: 1629;
  •  P44/5/2: work at the schoolhouse: 1651;
  •  P44/5/2: glazing the schoolhouse windows: 1657;
  •  P44/5/2: mending the schoolhouse lock: 1661;
  •  Lincoln Diocesan Archive: Edward Jennings licensed schoolmaster: 1697;
  •  P44/1/2: Lancelot Granger, schoolmaster, buried: 1705;
  •  P44/1/2: wife of John Cook, schoolmaster, buried: 1730;
  •  P44/12/1: swearing of the schoolmaster: 1739;
  •  P44/1/2: son of William Wilmer, schoolmaster, baptised: 1753-1757.

School

  •  CRT130/2: account of the National School
  •  AD3865/39: plans of school and teacher's house: 1855;
  •  SDShillington1/1: logbook: 1866-1893;
  •  P44/8/1: provision of school accommodation: 1870;
  •  SB37/1-3: School Board minutes: 1874-1903;
  •  SB37/4-12: School Board financial records: 1874-1903;
  •  SB37/13: School Board correspondence and copy deeds: 1875-1931;
  •  SB37/4: School Board byelaws: 1887-1888;
  •  SB37/15: inspector's report on the school: 1902;
  •  SB37/16: School Board clerk's report on the school: 1903;
  •  SMM18: School Managers' minutes: 1903-1938;
  •  E/TE5/1: details of teachers: 1904-1908;
  •  E/TE5/2: details of teachers: 1908-1912;
  •  E/IN1/1: inspectors' reports on the school: 1910-1938;
  •  SDShillington1/2: mixed school logbook: 1928-1955;
  •  SDShillington1/3: infants school logbook: 1929;
  •  PCShillington26/2: lease of old church school premises to the local education authority: 1937;
  •  SDShillington2/1: admission register: 1939-2007;
  •  PCShillington26/1: correspondence on class size: 1944;
  •  SDShillington1/3: logbook: 1955-1973;
  •  PCShillington26/3: correspondence regarding accommodation: 1958-1961;
  •  PCShillington26/4: need for a school crossing patrol: 1958-1970;
  •  PCShillington26/5: standard of catering: 1959;
  •  CA2/40: building contract for the new school: 1959-1965;
  •  PCShillington26/7: secondary school allocation: 1960-1961;
  •  SDShillington4/1: cricket scorer's book for the school: 1960-1967;
  •  PCShillington26/8: correspondence regarding the school house: 1961-1967;
  •  CA8/489: school maintenance file: 1962-1971;
  •  PCShillington26/9: overcrowding: 1963;
  •  E/TE10/2/B1: poems by children at the school: 1970s;
  •  CA2/314: school extensions and alterations: 1970-1973;
  •  CA8/862: school maintenance file: 1972-1980;
  •  SDShillington3/1-9: school magazines: 1972-1976;
  •  SDShillington1/4: logbook: 1974-2001;
  •  CA10/56: renewal of foundations: 1981;
  •  E/TE3/4: return of teaching staff: 1981;
  •  E/TE3/7: return of teaching staff: 1986;
  •  E/MS3/2/3: kitchen and other details: c. 1987;
  • CR/OH1/5: reminiscences of former pupils from 1920s and 1930s: 1995.