Green Farmhouse Shillington
Green Farm from Hanscombe End Road April 2015
Green Farmhouse was listed by the former Department of Environment in July 1975 as Grade II, of special interest. It dates from the 17th century, with 18th century additions. It is of timber-framed construction, though parts of ground floor have been rebuilt in brick. Colourwashed roughcast render has been applied to most areas, but some timbering with red brick infill is exposed in the 18th century block. The structure has clay tiled roofs and two storeys with a later single storey and attics block added to the rear gable.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the farmhouse [DV1/C62/116-117] found that it was owned by Sir James Hill and occupied by J West whose rent was £35 per annum, which included fourteen acres and farm buildings.
The house contained a living room and kitchen with three bedrooms above. The valuer commented: "Thatched and old fashioned barn at one end shed at other". The farm buildings comprised wood and slated lean-to shed, stable for three horses, piggeries, hovel and implement shed, there was also a wood and corrugated iron barn. The valuer commented: "Buildings very bad".