Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Shillington > Beam Ends - 5 Hanscombe End Road Shillington

Beam Ends - 5 Hanscombe End Road Shillington

5 Hanscombe End Road April 2015
5 Hanscombe End Road  April 2015

5 Hanscombe End Road was listed by the former Department of Environment in July 1975 as Grade II, of special interest. The listing suggests the house was "possibly formerly a pair of cottages" which indeed it was in the early 20th century (see below). It dates from the 18th century and has a timber-framed construction with colourwashed plaster infill and a thatched roof. It comprises one storey and attics with four rooms downstairs.

When the Shillington Manor Estate was sold the sale particulars of November 1898 listed a considerable amount of land in various parts of the parish comprising in all 842 acres [BS782]. Lot 5 was 5 Hanscombe End Road. It was then two cottages, each containing four rooms and stood in a one rood plot. The tenants were Josiah Cooper and Henry Davis whose combined rents amounted to £7 per annum.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer found the owner was Sir James Hill. The eastern section [DV1/C62/109] was occupied by D Furr who had a living room, a kitchen and two bedrooms. The west [DV1/C62/110] was in occupation of A Harris whose accommodation was the same. The two tenants shared a barn. Both paid rent of £3/10/- per annum so clearly the rents had not changed since 1898.

5 Hanscombe End side view April 2015
5 Hanscombe End side view  April 2015