Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Shillington > 93 and 95 Hillfoot Road Shillington

93 and 95 Hillfoot Road Shillington

93 and 95 Hillfoot Road seen from the road April 2015
93 and 95 Hillfoot Road seen from the road April 2015

93 and 95 Hillfoot Road were listed by the former Department of Environment in July 1975 as Grade II, of special interest. The building dates from the 17th century and has colour-washed roughcast render over a timber frame, though parts of the ground floor and west end were later rebuilt in brick. The roofs are composed of clay tiles. The property has two storeys, originally in an L-shape – the cross-wing is lower than the main block and was extended in the 20th century to make an L-shape into a T-shape. There are 20th century extensions to the north.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the building [DV1/C74/62-63] found it owned by A Rust, who owned 103 Hillfoot Road. The tenants were J Furr and P Tingey who each paid £6 per annum for living room, kitchen, two bedrooms and a barn. The valuer commented: "Bad situation".