14 to 16a Church Street Shillington
14 to 16a Church Street April 2015
14 to 16a Church Street were listed by the former Department of Environment in July 1975 as Grade II, of special interest. The row of four cottages dates from the 18th century and is of timber-framed construction with rendered exteriors. They have clay tiled roofs and comprise one storey and attics; each dwelling would originally have comprised just one room on the ground floor.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the building [DV1/C75/54-55] found that it was then divided into two dwellings. Both were owned by corn merchants D Simkins and Son who also owned 6-10 Church Street.
The right hand dwelling was occupied by E W Wilson and the left-hand by G Twydell. They both paid rent of £1/12/6 per quarter for a living room, a kitchen and two bedrooms. A barn stood outside.