Withy Cottage - 54 Station Road Tempsford
Withy Cottage - 54 Station Road February 2016
Withy Cottage is an attractive property, apparently timber framed and rendered but considerably altered over the years, and therefore not listed. It probably dates from the 18th century and appears on the Tempsford Estate survey map of 1829 [X1/41]. The accompanying reference book states that it was owned by William Stuart, hence by the Tempsford Estate, and tenanted by Edward George.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the cottage [DV1/C157/97] found it still owned by the estate and occupied by Miss Cope, who paid rent of £5 per annum.
The cottage contained a parlour, a living room and two bedrooms. A washhouse and barn stood outside, Water came from an outside tap.