Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Tempsford > 4 Mill Lane Tempsford

4 Mill Lane Tempsford

4 Mill Lane August 2016
4 Mill Lane August 2016

4 Mill Lane was listed by English Heritage in November 1986 as Grade II, of special interest. It is timber-framed with colourwashed roughcast render over the framing and has a thatched roof. The cottage comprises one storey and attics and originally had two rooms downstairs. It is believed to date from the 18th century. A later lean-to addition to the left-hand side also has a thatched roof and there is a 20th century single storey addition at the rear.

A survey of Tempsford was undertaken in 1829 [X1/41 and WY1036/12]. The cottage was then owned by Magdalene College, Oxford and tenanted by John Cope. The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the cottage [DV1/C162/23] found that it now formed part of the Tempsford Estate of Mrs Stuart and was in occupation of W Cooper, whose rent was £72 as he also rented land. The cottage comprised a parlour and living room with the scullery in the lean-to; there were two bedrooms in the roof. A barn stood outside and water came from a tap forty yards away. The valuer noted: “Mr Cooper is son in law to Mrs Quince, occupying cottage while Mr Quince works land.”