139 Station Road Tempsford
139 Station Road February 2016
139 Station Road was listed by English Heritage in November 1986 as Grade II, of special interest. It is thought to date from the 17th century and is timber-framed with colourwashed roughcast render beneath a thatched roof. The cottage comprises one storey and attics and stands gable end on to the road. There is a blocked doorway between the two right-hand bays indicating that it might once have been two separate dwellings. There is a single-storey addition to the north gable end, which is weather-boarded and has a thatched roof.
The Tempsford Survey of 1829 [XZ1/41 and WY1036/12] tells us that the cottage was owned by William Stuart and thus by the Tempsford Estate, and was tenanted by Widow Hall.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the cottage [DV1/C157/57] found that it was still owned by the estate and now leased by A reed for £4/10/- per annum.
Accommodation comprised a parlour, living room and three bedrooms. Two barns stood outside. Water came from an outside tap.