The Sow and Pigs Beerhouse Harrold
The Sow and Pigs first appears in a directory held by Bedfordshire & Luton Archives & Records Service in 1847 when it was tenanted by James Thompson. However, it was in existence at least in 1834 as shown by a poster for an auction sale at the George Inn, Harrold, on 17th February that year. The devisees in trust of late Daniel Coles were selling his property in two lots, one of which was: "A MESSUAGE or tenement occupied as a Retail BEER HOUSE called the SOW and PIGS, now in full Trade, with Brewhouse, Stables, and Cart hovel, Yard and Garden, situate in Orchard Street, in the Town of Harrold, in occupation of JAMES THOMPSON: and TWO COTTAGES adjoining, in the occupation of Samuel Harrison and Thomas Pettit.
By the directory of 1861 George Allen became licensee of the Sow and Pigs but in 1862 was licensee of the Globe (now the Muntjac), suggesting that the Sow & Pigs may have closed in that year
- GA2092: sale catalogue of Sow & Pigs: 1834
List of Licensees: note that this is not a complete list; entries in italics refer to licensees where either beginning or end, or both, dates are not known:
1834-1854: James Thompson
1861: George Allen
Beerhouse closed in 1862?