Pointers Lodge Harrold
Pointers Lodge in May 2008
This building was listed by the former Department of Environment as Grade II (of special interest). The property is 19th century (the Department notes it was "included for group value") and built of coursed limestone rubble with a clay tile roof. Like many of the older properties in this part of Harrold, it stands gable end on to the road, in fact the gable end abuts right against the west tower of the church. The house has two storeys.
In 1927 property in Harrold was valued under the Rating & Valuation Act of 1925; every piece of land and building in the country had to be valued to determine the rates to be paid upon it. The valuer visiting Pointers Lodge [DV1/R49/75] noted that it was owned by Captain Alston RA and occupied by C.Clarke and went with Harrold Hall (the occupant was the chauffeur). It comprised a reception room, living room, large scullery and larder downstairs, with three bedrooms above. The valuer remarked: "good" "semi-detached to church" "stands among outbuildings - not a lodge".